For too long, Arizona’s current leaders at the Capitol have been looking out for the wealthy and special interests at the expense of Arizona’s working families. This has left us with under-funded public schools, economic insecurity for families working to be part of the middle class, a lack of trust in politicians, communities struggling and … Continued
Arizona should be a welcoming state where we take steps to bring equity to our criminal justice system and our policies toward immigrant communities. This leads to stronger and safer communities, and ultimately a stronger and safer Arizona.
• Arizona should be a welcoming place for immigrants and refugees. Arizona’s leaders should support efforts to pass a clean DREAM Act, and repeal divisive laws like SB 1070 that have harmed our reputation at home and abroad.
• Arizona is stronger when we protect the rights of all families. Arizona should adopt laws that prohibit discrimination against LGBTQ Arizonans—by outlawing employment discrimination, protecting access to public accommodations, and protecting the right to adoption, we can make our community stronger for everyone.
• Arizona should have a comprehensive plan to reintegrate people exiting the criminal justice system. This includes providing wraparound services, restoring voting rights, and using all the procedural and policy tools at the state’s disposal to help maximize the ability of individuals to get a job and fold back into their community.
• Recidivism can be reduced by making smart interventions in the system at every step in the criminal justice process. We should enact smart reforms, like abolishing cash bail, mitigating fines and fees for minor offenses, enacting sentencing reform, and making GED courses available to every inmate.
• Standing up for criminal justice reform extends to our schools, where we need to break up the school-to-prison pipeline by reforming our school discipline system and improving access to diversion programs.
• To help make our communities safer, we should enact national best practices that help build trust between law enforcement and the communities they serve, like enacting mandatory data collection for law enforcement agencies.